Go to: Just Dutch Oven Recipes Home Page|
Click/Tap 'Back' to go to the recipe list you were browsing.
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
2 ts Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 ts Cayenne pepper
1 1/2 ts Paprika
1 ts Dry mustard
1 ts File' powder
1 ts Garlic powder
1 ts Salt
1 Chicken; cut up (3 lb)
1 c Vegetable oil
1/2 c Flour
3/4 c Onion; chopped
3/4 c Celery; chopped
3/4 c Green bell pepper; chopped
1 1/2 qt Rick chicken stock
1 3/4 c Thinkly sliced smoked sausage - andouille or kielbasa
1 Bay leaf
2 Garlic cloves; finely chop
2 tb Hot pepper sauce
1. In a small bowl, blend together black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, mustard, file' powder, garlic powder, and salt. Rub about 4 teaspoons of spice on the chicken pieces.
2. In a alrge frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Combine flour and 2 teaspoons of the spice mixture in a plastic bag. Add chicken pieces a few at a time; shake to coat. Brown chicken in oil on one side for 2 minutes, then turn and cook another 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
3. Add remaining flour mixture used for coating to the oil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly with a whisk, until mixture turns nut brown. Add the onion, celery, and green pepper to the roux. Remove from heat.
4. In a large Dutch oven, bring broth to a boil. Shisk 1/2 cup of stock into roux mixture. Gradually add to remaining broth, stirring with a whisk. Add sausage. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring often.
5. Add chicken, bay leaf, garlic, and pepper sauce. Cook 40 minutes. Remove the chicken and pull meat from bones. Discard bones. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and return to gumbo. Serve with rice.
Click/Tap here for the Printer friendly version. (Just shows the recipe only)
You can Click/Tap Back to return here.