Go to: Just Dutch Oven Recipes Home Page|
Click/Tap 'Back' to go to the recipe list you were browsing.
Spicy Pot Roast
4 lb Beef chuck cross rib pot roast, boneless
2 tb Cooking fat
1 md Onion; thinly sliced
1 1/2 c Tomato juice
1/8 ts Garlic powder
1/4 ts Ground clove
1/4 ts Mace
1/4 ts Allspice
2 tb Lemon juice
1 tb Vinegar
2 sm Bay leaves
1. In a Dutch oven, or large pan with a tight-fitting cover, brown meat in fat. Season with salt and pepper and remove from pan. Pour off fat drippings.
2. Cook onion in drippings remaining in pan until soft but not browned; stir often.
3. Add remaining ingredients; mix well.
4. Return meat to pa. Cover and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until done. (Or cook in a 325F oven for same amount of time).
5. Turn meat once to cook it evenly throughout. When meat is done, remove to a platter and keep warm. Discard bay leaves.
6. Skim off any excess fat. Taste sauce and correct seasoning, if necessary, with salt and pepper.
7. If sauce is too thin, mix 2 tablespoons flour in 1/3 cup cold water. Add mixture slowly to sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes.
8. If sauce needs only a little thickening, simmer, uncovered, for a few minutes.
9. Slice meat and serve with sauce.
Click/Tap here for the Printer friendly version. (Just shows the recipe only)
You can Click/Tap Back to return here.